Monday, June 9, 2008

Best plan ever!

K. This will have to be short since Stacy is waiting outside looking inconspicuous... I took the train to Nice as I'd mentioned, and arrived at like 7:30pm. I wanted to be in Italy so I just hauled out of there. Suffice it to say, it was amazing. I climbed over Monaco and arrived in Italy just as it was getting dark (don't worry mom, I have lights). I arrived in Ventimiglia and found a room (phew) and laid in bed trying to sleep antsy like it was Christmas Eve.

Then I loaded up (since the country of Italy can't be bothered to do ANYTHING before 10 or so, and headed out. It was easily the BEST day of my life. I had gelato at the base of the alps, climbed up to this little castle at like 900 meters (Dolceacqua-Castelvittorio-Baiardo) then descended to San Remo and headed along the coast for awhile until I found this little town of Diano Marino. I found a hotel there, and am a celebrity there. I had three more servings of gelato that night (two of them while walking on the beach). I'd had so much fun I decided to stay an extra day and so did a day of climbing without all my gear and it was amazing. Topped it off by joining up with a couple of cyclists (on beautiful Italian bikes) after lunch and rode back down to the sea and along the coast with them.

I need to go get gelato and chocolate milk. I looked for like 2h this morning for a computer I could use but these little towns I love so much don't really open on Monday mornings... I've been looking for computers and such to check in, and now know what to ask for, so it should be more regular.

Ciao!

5 comments:

LindsayBird said...

woo italy! sounds like you are having a great time, and congrats on finding other cyclists (look i used the right word- go me!) ! The tour of the country via gelato seems an excellent strategy. have some hazelnut for me. mmmmmmm

Dave in transition said...

Nice! and I don't mean as in France.
I mean really nice! I am sooo jealous now that you are in Italy... so cool, enjoy it all!

vietnamese said...

hello justin,

I perchance saw your blog in the history of my computer. I juste wanna see quickly but after 5', i really like it.
So, u went to Nice. & i didn't know that yr bike has a name: Stracy! It's so cool!
"Bon vent, l'américain!"!

justin said...

So fun! France was amazing, but yes, hopefully I can find more gelato before my train. France needs more gelato.

LindsayBird said...

oops!? I thought you were already in Italy? I like how you needed gelato and chocolate milk-good verb choice-
I am going to CA tomorrow so please check your email to confirm airport pick up stuff for Tuesday night- just read the one labeled ReadME before you depart-
ciao!